• Elvin Ou

Subtraction 6- CNC End Table

Updated: Mar 13, 2019

Final product:


Mid-process Images:

For the final CNC project I wanted to design and create a wood piece that is functional so that I decided on making a end table. The process started with finding the right wood that I wanted and what wood is available and the wood that I finally ordered is a 3/4" thick plywood. From there, I started sketching out my initial ideas of how the table looks and started designing and revising it.


From there 3d model, I get the plan and elevational drawing out in cad and started trying out cutting smaller portion of the piece to test on tolerance of the CNC on my wood.

After cutting out the first try of each part of the joinery, i started changing and testing the tolerance and after three tries I finally got the right measurement .

After testing the right tolerance for the joineries, it was time to bring cut the final pieces. During the cutting, new problem appeared. I was trying to cut and engrave a big piece of wood as the table top and the engraving turned out super uneven. The unevenness did hurt the contour that much, but since I was using plywood, the unevenness of the engraving caused a very bad looking pattern on the surface. Then I had to sand the piece pretty drastically .

An then shit happened..I was sanding too hard and sanded through a layer of the plywood, so there was a spot where it has a completely different wood exposing :( Then I started my second round of cutting.

The second piece turned up even more uneven since they changed the spoilboard and that board is warpped..At this point, I thought I should continue making the table legs firs tthen worry about how it looks. Then I started cutting out a testing piece and just to test again if the leg piece fit the table top and it worked.

After making sure all the parts fit each other, I finally started cutting out the final leg pieces.

After cutting out the two separate leg pieces, I needed to put them together to form the structure of the table. That involved a bit of sanding and then gluing.

After being glued down and clamped over night, I came back and started the finishing process: sanding and oiling. It really took me hours of sanding to finally get to the point where when you touch the wood, it feels soft. After that I started testing out the wood oil and realized I do not like how yellow it looks so that I decided not to sue any finish treatment and kept it raw.