- Dec 10, 2018
- 1 min read
Fabrication7 - Motor
Updated: Dec 12, 2018
Inspired by my work for last week, I decided to go on with trying out concrete
Image of raw material:
- clock motor
- concrete mixer
The project started with finding/ creating a mode that the motor would be attached to be the body. Since I experimented with something stiff like water body last time, I wanted to try something more fluid. After putting the mixer into ziploc, I tried to control a shape that I want and decided to keep on surface flat for the mounting and one side organic as the front surface of the clock.
I waited for a bit of time just for the concrete to kind of sit and turn solid a bit. From there I placed the front side of the motor with a center rod on the concrete molding. After couple hours, the concrete kind of formed solid and dried out enough for me to break the ziploc.
From there, I started to open up where the center rod sits and attached the clock motor on to the flat surface of the concrete, and screwed tight. When i was picking up the concrete, it broke a bit since it was not completely dry and also for the fact that the folding of the ziploc molding gave it different thickness.
Then I started thinking about the design and the material of the needles to be attached to the center rod of the clock motor. Initially I was thinking about using thin piece of wood until I realize they are fragile and get warped so easily. From there, I just use metal for the needles to complete the whole clock.